It’s 4.30pm and there’s a steady line of corporate executives filing out of a conference room after a long and draining day of budget planning. Instead of rushing back to their rooms to quickly change before dinner, they head down to the pristine shores of Hayman Island’s Coconut Beach for a guided meditation class while they take in the breathtaking views across the Whitsundays. Following the beachfront session, the results are immediate. Delegates feel relaxed, less tense and appreciative the company has made an investment in their physical and mental wellbeing.
This type of scenario is becoming increasingly common for organisations that recognise the immense benefits of a carefully curated conference itinerary – one that effectively balances business requirements with the health and wellbeing of its employees.
A conference itinerary that incorporates a schedule of wellness activities to re-energise and mentally rejuvenate participants has the power to help delegates sharpen focus, concentrate and deliver improved output once they return to the office.
InterContinental Hayman Island Resort’s Director of Sales, Adam Leonard, believes the integration of wellness activities into a conference itinerary, is a key trend that isn’t going to disappear anytime soon.
“The level of enquiry we’ve had from companies interested in designing itineraries where the wellness sessions compliment their meeting agenda, has been nothing short of astounding,” Adam said. “As a hospitality partner with a strong health and wellness philosophy, we see first-hand how much more attentive and engaged our conference guests are, if they’ve participated in an outdoor physical activity, learnt a new technique to be more mindful or nourished themselves with high-quality healthy food as part of their lunch banquet.
“There’s been extensive research on the positive impact that wellness inspired conference itineraries have on employees as well as the beneficial effects of the great outdoors on one’s physical and mental health.”
In designing a well-balanced conference itinerary, InterContinental Hayman Island Resort suggests clients consider:
- Including a conference theme that connects the professional with the personal
- Curating a bespoke conference itinerary that weaves work sessions with a program of wellness activities to get the best output from attendees during and after the conference
- Including a variety of outdoor activities that help participants be more mindful, exercise and rejuvenate the mind with natural surroundings
- Consider whether to include a ‘technology ban’ to help guests de-plug and log-off
- Incorporate healthy options for meals and snacks
- Ensure guest speakers, suppliers or activities align with your overall conference theme.
For more information on hosting events or conferences at the five-star InterContinental Hayman Island Resort, email firstname.lastname@example.org